The official cause of death, according to reports, was alcohol-related cirrhosis. While he’d always been a drinker, his family and friends had been unaware of the severity of his condition. While she was a talented singer, however, she was celebrities who died of alcoholism also a hardcore alcoholic . And in 1959, her lifestyle had caught up to her; she was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis. In July 2013, just a few months after another stay in rehab, he was found dead in his hotel room in Downtown Vancouver.
- Billie Holiday is considered to be one of the greatest jazz singers of all time.
- Celebrity deaths are always tragic, but losing notable stars to severe drinking problems is no different.
- She also appeared in in the films I Married a Witch and Sullivan’s Travels and had many stage credits to her name.
- Leonard Nimoy is best known for his enduring role as Mr. Spock from Star Trek.
- All of these drugs can cause central nervous system and respiratory depression.
Though there are many who have succumbed to it and many who are still caught up in this deadly habit, alcoholism still remains to be one of the main reasons for a downfall in careers and lives. Keep reading and you might be surprised to know more about these famous people who struggled with alcoholism. Winehouse died at the very young age of 27 on July 23, 2011. She started drinking alcohol at just 12 years old and struggled with alcohol addiction for most of her life. She had also dabbled with crack cocaine and heroin later in life while she continued alcohol abuse to numb her mental health issues. Paramedics found her body at her home with empty vodka bottles on the floor.
Resources for treating alcoholism
Several years later, he was asked to portray the role of Mini-Me in the second Austin Power film. Impressed by his acting, Mike Myers, the co-creator of the series actually rewrote the script to give him more screen time. Troyer later reprised his role in the sequel Powers in Goldmember, which came out in 2002. Desperate to get himself back on his feet, he moved to Hollywood, where he worked as a screenwriter. His first novel, ‘This Side of Paradise’ was published in 1920.
In September of that year, he passed away from an overdose of Heminevrin, a medication used to treat and prevent alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Morrison, the lead singer of The Doors, had developed alcoholism throughout his career to cope with depressive moods and traumatic events because he felt it helped his creativity. Drugs and alcohol took their toll on Morrison, and his performances were greatly affected. On July 3, 1971, he was found unresponsive in a tub in Paris. No autopsy was performed, but it is believed he passed from a drug and alcohol overdose. At Ethos Recovery, we focus on structured treatment for addiction in Los Angeles. Together, we can help you overcome your addiction and enjoy a sober, drug and alcohol-free life.
Everyone Can Help Prevent Excessive Alcohol Use
It’s important to address the underlying issues in order to treat alcohol addiction. Learn more about alcohol abuse and addiction, and explore treatment options to avoid negative health outcomes.
If you are worried that you or someone you know has a problem with drinking too much alcohol, consider alcohol detox as way https://ecosoberhouse.com/ to clear the mind and get back to a healthy, sober life. Contact a treatment provider today for rehab-related information.
Man dies after drinking an entire bottle of Jagermeister in two minutes
And that can lead to serious health and mental problems, which has been proven many times over. Unlike the other members of the Grateful Dead, McKernan preferred alcohol and avoided psychedelic drugs. By 1971, doctors had advised him to stop touring because alcoholism and liver damage had greatly affected his health. On March 8, 1973, he was found dead at age 27 due to a gastrointestinal hemorrhage. She quickly achieved mainstream success, but her career became blighted by legal troubles and substance abuse. He died in 1969 after being rushed to the hospital when he started vomiting blood while drinking whiskey.
- He was cremated at Golders Green Crematorium and his ashes were buried in an unmarked plot not far from his Perrins Walk home.
- Some historians attribute this behavior to alcoholism, which contributed to his untimely demise at age 32.
- By the mid-90s, they had reached international stardom with millions of record sales worldwide.
- At the end of his life, Mickey Mantle got a liver transplant because of cancer.
- Alec Baldwin has admitted to past dangerous behavior such as drinking and driving during his days as a young actor.